I’ve adapted Warm Arugula Salad from Jamie Oliver’s Happy Days with the Naked Chef. This is the perfect recipe to make right now because arugula is all over the farmer’s market. It’s quick and simple and because arugula has a spicy, peppery flavor already, you don’t need to add that many additional ingredients to make this salad a huge success. I made this salad for 2 people, so feel free to adapt the recipe if you’re making it for a larger crowd. Also, be sure to eat the salad immediately after it’s prepared. I love salads, or I should say, I love eating all the goodies in a salad minus the actual salad. However, I found myself eating every last arugula leaf on the plate. Arugula just has that beautiful, peppery flavor that no other lettuce can compare to.
“Warm salads can be blooming amazing or complete disasters. First, you have to get your hungry guests around the table before you plate up, so as soon as their bums are on the chairs, you are tossing the warm ingredients in with the arugula leaves. Boom, boom, boom on a plate and it’s in front of them.“ ~Jamie Oliver
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon or pancetta
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 c nuts chopped
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon zest
- 4 c arugula
- salt and pepper to season
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and fry the pancetta or bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 2 TBSP of olive oil to drippings in the skillet. Add the thyme leaves, onions, and nuts along with a pinch of salt and toss around gently. Cook about 5 minutes, until the onions are caramelized.
- Return the pancetta or bacon to the skillet along with the lemon zest and toss to coat.
- Throw everything into a salad bowl on top of the arugula.
- Drizzle generously with balsamic vinegar and top with Parmesan cheese.