My mother has devotedly been on Weight Watchers for the last several months and has already seen amazing results. Because of her hard work and dedication, my sister and I did not want to bake her a birthday cake that she couldn’t eat very much of or that she’d feel guilty about eating afterwards. So we found a Weight Watchers (WW) recipe for banana cream pie and decided to make a few changes, including using our fresh, picked strawberries instead of bananas. When my father heard that we’d be eating WW birthday cake instead of traditional birthday cake, he was not all too optimistic that this cake would satiate any of our birthday cake cravings (I have to admit… I had my doubts as well!). However, both my parents loved this cake and agreed that it was not at all lacking in taste or sweetness. This cake has 3 points per serving for those of you who are on WW. Even if you’re not on WW, this is an easy dessert that is both healthy, satisfying, and perfect for the summertime!
Stay tuned for strawberry scones!!
- 5 full sheets of low-fat graham crackers, smashed into crumbs
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp water
- 2 c strawberries, cleaned and diced
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter and water with a fork. Press into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake until firm, 3-5 minutes and allow to cool.
- Arrange the 1 c of strawberries over the crust.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let stand 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and the gelatin and sugar dissolve, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the yogurt and vanilla. Pour into the pie plate.
- Arrange the reserved strawberries over the pie and sprinkle with the lime zest.
- Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, until chilled, 2-3 hours.
5 responses to “Strawberry Cream Pie”
This sounds like the perfect small group dessert (hint, hint)! And I completely agree that strawberries are way better than bananas. 🙂
That looks awesome! How many servings are in the whole recipe?
There are 8 servings in the entire pie!
The pie was absolutely delicious. Very light and creamy. I would definitely make it again. Thank you for making my birthday so special.
I made this pie this weekend and brought it to some friends for dinner. They loved it and I added a drizzle of chocolate over the fresh strawberries. A piece of pie and glass of wine, to die for.