The second recipe I made with my fresh, picked strawberries were these strawberry scones. Scones are generally not as sweet as cookies or cakes, so they’re great to eat for breakfast with some butter or jam. The fresh strawberries give them that added, natural sweetness. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 TBSP cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cup diced fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the egg, yogurt, milk and lemon zest until blended and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter pieces to the bowl with the dry ingredients and cut the butter into the flour using two forks, until the largest butter pieces are the size of small peas.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently fold together with a fork or spatula until a sticky dough has formed.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Knead dough just a few times to ensure that all the dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough is cohesive. (The dough will be very sticky.)
- Transfer the dough to a well floured work surface and pat into a disc about 8″ in diameter. Sprinkle lightly with additional sugar and slice the disc into 8 wedges.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet and bake until lightly browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.