I was inspired to use my fresh, picked strawberries to make strawberry bread after going on a farm tour this past weekend and eating some bread that one of the farmer’s wives made for us (more to come on this farm tour later). I found a great recipe from the Joy of Cooking. The strawberry bread I had this past weekend was darker in color which leads me to think she used brown sugar instead of just regular sugar like the Joy of Cooking recipe. However, both breads were moist with subtle undertones of strawberry and cinnamon. Top this bread with some butter for a quick breakfast treat or eat it after dinner with a chilled dessert wine.
- 1/2 c unsalted butter
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 c chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 5″ loaf pan.
- Beat the butter until soft, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. With the beater on low, add the flour mix and the sour cream alternating between the two, starting and ending with the flour.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Place the batter into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes are until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter or freeze for later use.