My husband’s family was in town this past weekend, so I decided to make some cupcakes for dessert. I found this recipe for apple cinnamon cupcakes and I decided to make a cream cheese frosting with apple cider. The frosting wasn’t as hard as I would’ve liked; I wanted to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes for a pretty presentation, but ended up taking a spatula and spreading it on messily. To touch up the tops of the cupcakes, I decided to use three different toppings: vanilla crunch sprinkles, cinnamon crunch sprinkles, and melted caramel. The cupcakes came out moist and delicious with subtle hints of cinnamon and apple. The cream cheese frosting was not my favorite. If I make these cupcakes again, I will definitely make a buttercream frosting that can be piped on the tops. Making frosting can be quite tricky; adding too much liquid will make your frosting goopy. Buttercreams are sometimes finicky as well.
Do you have a standby cream cheese frosting or buttercream that you use on everything? If so, share it with me and I’ll post it. Enjoy!
- 1 cup grated & peeled apple, diced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven and line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners
- Mix the apples with the cinnamon and 1 tbsp sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the apple mix with any juice that has been released.
- With a cookie scoop, fill the cupcake liners with the batter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider
- sprinkles or melted caramel (optional)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, and apple cider until mixed.
- With a spatula, spread frosting over tops of cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles or melted caramel.