A couple of weeks ago I bought some lavender from a spice vendor at the farmer’s market. I have to admit, I’ve never baked with lavender before. But I remembered that I had it and decided I would bake something with it this past weekend. I looked at various recipes to see what flavors go well with lavender; blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, and lemon all go nicely with lavender, so I decided to make some blueberry and lavender scones with a lemon glaze drizzled over the top. The lavender is very strong, so you don’t need much of it. I used dried blueberries because I already had them on hand. These scones came out tasting unique and delicious. The lemon glaze gave them a nice sweetness as well!
Have you ever baked with lavender before? If so, share you recipes!
Also, don’t forget to purchase your tickets for the DC Metropolitan Cooking & Entertaining Show November 13-14! Click here for more details.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp dried lavender flowers
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lavender flowers.
- Cut butter into flour with pastry cutter until the mixture looks like course bread crumbs.
- In another small bowl, combine egg, vanilla, and heavy cream.
- Add to the flour mixture and stir to blend into a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead gently, adding only enough flour so the dough doesn’t stick to your fingers. Roll out dough to 1″ thick circle using a floured rolling pin. Using a serrated knife, cut dough into triangles. Re-roll any leftover scrapes and cut into triangles again being sure not to overwork the dough.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes or until tops are light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine confectioner’s sugar, milk, and lemon zest until smooth. Grizzle over scones.