I am excited to say that Happy When Not Hungry’s Cookie Countdown to Christmas is beginning to wind down! Not to say I haven’t had fun baking all these treats, but I’ve been baking a lot lately and am looking forward to enjoying all these sweets with my family. These almond paste cookies are one of my favorites and are pretty easy to make as well. You can decorate them with maraschino cherries or nuts. I opted to dot half my batch with maraschino cherries and then roll the other half in pine nuts. They came out moist and chewy – I love the flavor of the toasted pine nuts and almond paste as well. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs. almond paste
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 5 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Grate almond paste on a cheese grater over a sheet of wax paper and mix almond paste with the powdered sugar.
- Add whisked eggs to the paste and mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. Add to the almond paste and mix.
- Drop by teaspoons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Cut maraschino cherries in half and press into center of each cookie while still warm. If decorating with slivered almond or pine nuts, roll in nuts before baking.