I made these Herb and Gruyere Biscuits a while back to accompany a big turkey dinner, but then forgot to blog about them. These biscuits definitely deserve a post because they are delicious and are also very easy to make. I like to use fresh thyme and sage because they pair well with the Gruyere cheese, but you can use whatever cheese or herbs you like. These biscuits are best eaten warm, right out of the oven. Serve them with a hot soup like pasta e fagioli, beans and greens, cabbage and white bean soup with sausage, lentil soup or pumpkin soup. They are also delicious with turkey and gravy! I use a circle-shaped cookie cutter to make these biscuits but if you do not have one, you can use the bottom of a glass instead. Definitely give these biscuits a try for your next meal!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp chopped sage leaves
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (10 tbsp) cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled, 2 tablespoons melted
- 1 cup milk, chilled
- Preheat the oven to 425° and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the chilled butter and use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the butter into the flour until it is the size of peas.
- Add the thyme, sage, and Gruyère cheese and stir in the milk until the dough is moistened.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto the surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until it comes together. Pat the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick disk.
- Using a floured 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, stamp out biscuit rounds as closely together as possible. Gather the scraps and knead them together 2 or 3 times, then flatten the dough and stamp out more biscuit rounds. Pat the remaining scraps together and gently press them into a biscuit.
- Transfer the biscuits to a large baking sheet and brush the tops with the melted butter. Chill the biscuits until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 minutes, or until golden.