Here’s my 2nd recipe that has 5 ingredients or less. It’s an arugula salad with fresh oranges and sliced fennel. I served this salad for my hubby’s birthday along with Fileno al Mirtillo and gnocchi with white wine sauce. I love arugula — I love the peppery flavor, I love how it looks, I love everything about it (sorry, I’m obsessed). Can you tell it’s my favorite type of salad green? Because of its strong flavor, you don’t need to add a lot of accompaniments to it. I like to add orange slices and fennel especially because I love the anise flavor that the fennel adds and the citrus freshness that the oranges add. For the dressing, I keep it simple and use a very good extra virgin olive oil with some fresh lemon juice. Add a touch of sea salt and some fresh cracked pepper and this salad is perfection. It’s simple and yes, only has 5 ingredients, so enjoy!
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 navel orange, peeled and slices halved
- 1/2 bulb fennel, sliced thinly
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to season
- Mix arugula, oranges, and fennel in a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over salad and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.