Life has been very hectic around here lately, and I’ve found myself cooking less and less when I get home from work. In order to make a nice meal for my hubby and I to enjoy after a long day, I decided that I need to utilize my slow cooker more. I love slow cooker recipes, but I have a tendency to make the same old soups and chili. It finally hit me that there are tons of great recipes I can make with my slow cooker besides the same old standbys. I decided I’d make chicken and dumplings – it’s comfort food and exactly the dish we wanted waiting for us when we walked in the door! This dish came out delicious and was a nice alternative to the usual fare that my hubby and I eat. The best part was the smell that consumed us as we walked through the door. It was so nice to have dinner ready to go too!
Disclaimer: Do not eat this dish right before you go to a Zumba class. Your tummy will be too full to move! Give it like 1-2 hours to digest. 🙂
In other news, I finally got around to purchasing my URL. My new blog address is HappyWhenNotHungry.com. (Don’t worry if you’ve already subscribed to my blog, WordPress automatically forwards your info on.)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 pounds of chicken thighs (I used bone-in, but took the skin off)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp minced parsley, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ tsp allspice
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to season
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp flour
- In a large skillet, saute onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken thighs liberally with sea salt and fresh ground pepper and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- On top of the chicken, add the sautéed onions, carrots, and celery, chicken broth, wine, bay leaf, parsley, and allspice.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- When chicken is done, remove thighs from slow cooker and allow to cool.
- Turn slow cooker on high.
- While chicken is cooling, mix flour and cream together in a small bowl, then stir into slow cooker.
- Open package of biscuits, cut each one into 4 pieces and drop into slow cooker.
- Cook biscuits until they are firm about 45-60 minutes.
- After biscuits have cooked and chicken has cooled, de-bone and return to slow cooker.
- Serve chicken and dumplings in a bowl while hot.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper.