Happy Valentine’s Day!! When I was a little girl, my Dad had 3 valentines every year(my mom, me, and my sis). He would bring home 1 big bouquet of flowers and big box of chocolates for my mom and 2 smaller bouquets and box of chocolates for my sister and I. He sure knew how to make all his girls feel special! In honor of this special day, I decided to make some citrus sugar cookies. Adding citrus zest to these cookies gives them a wonderful flavor, so you don’t need to add frosting (well of course you can add frosting if you want), but I just added some colored sugar for presentation. These cookies are delicious and perfect for your special someone. Hope you are enjoying your day!
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Decorative sugar for sprinkling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes until combined.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and zests and add to butter mix. Beat on low until combined.
- Scrape the dough onto a work surface and divide into 2 discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out one disc of dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a heat cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough scrapes being sure not to roll the dough more than 2 times, as it will become tough.
- Repeat with the second disc of dough.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are light golden. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving to a wire rack.