I hope you had a wonderful weekend! My weekend was great, but always seems too short. 🙂 In my previous post, I talked about trying a yoga class. Well I tried a beginner/intermediate yoga class at my gym and it was great! I will definitely be going to a yoga class once a week now. I felt great after and can definitely see why so many people love yoga. Because I was feeling so great, I decided to buy some fresh whole wheat tortellini and make Sausage & Tortellini Soup. I love this soup because it’s not heavy and since spring is here (and since I was feeling so great from yoga), I thought it was all too appropriate for the beautiful weather we’ve been having. I love the flavors in this soup especially the addition of the fresh lemon juice – it reinforces that spring is finally here and also makes the soup taste great! Hope you had a great weekend – what do you like to do to relax and/or feel better?
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 9 oz tortellini, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until brown.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and oregano and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock, wine, and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package directions, about 5 minutes. One minute before the tortellini is fully cooked, stir in the spinach.
- Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with grated Parmesan as desired.