This recipe for Cappellini with Fresh Mozzarella & Basil is such a simple, but delicious dish – I love the fresh flavors of the mozzarella, olive oil, tomatoes, and basil. The key to making this dish taste exceptional is using the best fresh ingredients you have on hand. I love fresh mozzarella b/c I love the texture and the taste. Adding the mozzarella on top of the hot pasta slightly melts the cheese, but not all the way, so you still have the wonderful cubes of cheese. I love cubes of cheese. I could polish off an entire cheese tray with no problem. 🙂 The addition of the fresh basil leaves also makes the dish taste fresh and adds some nice color. This dish is perfect on a weeknight after a busy day since it has very few ingredients and a short prep time. Buon Appetito!
- 1 box whole wheat cappellini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper for sprinkling
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and saute until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the cheese and basil, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
*Adapted from Everyday Italian