I generally tend to bring my lunch to work everyday, unless of course, we’ve run out of food or I don’t have time to prepare it. However, I try to prepare my lunch at night and usually on Monday mornings, I’ll bring a gigantic lunch with numerous pieces of fruits and tupperware containers so I don’t have to prepare something every night. I used to bring pb&j sandwiches everyday (if you opened up my lunch, you would think it belonged to a 3rd grader). I’ve tried to change this habit and start making healthy dishes that I can eat the entire week. This Mexican chickpea salad is the perfect solution! I love chickpeas because they are tasty and high in protein. I used canned chickpeas for this recipe because they’re less time consuming and still taste great with all the fresh ingredients and flavors. Definitely give this chickpea salad a try – it’s easy to make and so fresh and healthy too!
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- Two 19-ounce cans chickpeas
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice plus additional to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh ground black pepper and sea salt for seasoning
- Rinse and drain chick-peas and in a large bowl stir together all ingredients except additional lime juice.
- Chill salad, covered, at least 2 hours.
- Season salad with salt and add additional lime juice. Serve salad cool.