It’s almost Cinco de Mayo, so I wanted to share with you one of my sister’s recipes that my family loves! This Mexican Bean Salad is delicious and so easy to make. There’s no stove tops or ovens involved; all you do is throw the ingredients together and allow them to sit in your refrigerator so the flavors can blend. We’ve had this salad as a side dish numerous times with various entrees including shrimp kabobs, grilled chicken, etc. I love simple salads like this because they remind me of bbqs and summer. While DC has been a little too steamy for me as of late, I’m hoping that spring (i.e. 70’s) will decide to stay here for at least a few more weeks before the extreme humidity begins! What are your favorite recipes for Cinco de Mayo?
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can sweet corn, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions/green onions
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In large bowl, mix salad ingredients and in another small bowl, mix dressing ingredients with wire whisk until blended.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors.
*Adapted from Betty Crocker