This past weekend, my sister-in-law graduated from college (yay!), so my hubby’s family was down here for the festivities. My brother-in-law’s birthday is next week, so I decided to bake a Toasted Coconut Cake for him and my sister-in-law to enjoy. I used organic, unsweetened coconut that my Aunt had given me. I toasted the coconut which not only brings out the flavor, but also gives the cake a beautiful golden color. I made three cakes and layered frosting in between. This cake is awesome and definitely will make some tummies very happy. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Enjoy 🙂
- 1 tbsp cake flour
- 12 ounces or 3 cups of sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut, toasted
- To prepare the cake, preheat oven to 350 and lightly coat 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust pans with 1 tablespoon flour.
- On a baking sheet, spread out unsweetened coconut and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7-10 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 1/2 minutes or until well blended. Note: I used a hand-held mixer since I wanted to use my stand mixer to beat the egg whites.
- Add flour mixture and coconut milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in vanilla and coconut.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 6 egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat).
- Carefully fold egg whites into batter and pour batter equally into prepared pans. Bake for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks and then remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare frosting, combine 4 egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in the bowl of stand mixer and beat at high speed until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 250°.
- With mixer on low speed, pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites. Gradually increase speed to high and beat 8 minutes or until thick and cool. Stir in vanilla.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake layer. Repeat procedure with 1 cup frosting and remaining cake layer, ending with cake layer on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Gently press shaved coconut onto top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
*Adapted from Cooking Light