Summer is here and that means it’s time to grill!!! The other night, my hubby and I made these Pesto-Stuffed Filet Mignons with Grilled Tomatoes. This recipe was so easy to make and so delicious. This is the first time I’ve stuffed filet mignons and it definitely gives the meat an added depth of flavor. The pesto was made from fresh basil from my little, back-porch herb garden. Definitely give this recipe a try the next time you feel like grilling some filet mignons!
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 filet mignons, each 5 to 6 ounces and about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 6 slices beefsteak tomato, each about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make the pesto, add the garlic cloves, basil, and pine nuts to a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, pour the olive oil in a steady stream to make a smooth, thick paste. Transfer the pesto to a small bowl and stir in the cheese by hand. Set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a horizontal cut into one side of each steak, forming a pocket almost to the edges of the steak; take care not to cut all the way through. Using a small spoon, stuff 2 tbsp of the pesto into each pocket. If necessary, secure the pocket with toothpicks. Brush both sides of the steaks and tomato slices with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steaks over the hottest part of the grill, turning once, until nicely charred and cooked to your liking, 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- While the steaks are cooking, place the tomatoes at the edges of a charcoal grill where the heat is less intense. Grill the tomato slices, turning once with a spatula, until just softened and lightly charred, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the steaks to individual plates, placing each steak on or next to a tomato slice. Serve immediately.