I have a tendency to buy fresh vegetables and then forget about them until right before they start to go bad. In a frenzy to use up my over-priced asparagus, I decided to make some Israeli Couscous with Lemon & Asparagus. This dish is the perfect side dish to accompany grilled chicken or meat. It’s light and perfect for a summer BBQ.
What are your favorite summer side dishes to make?
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/3 cups Israeli couscous (6 to 7 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 14 ounces slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, and lemon peel in small bowl; set dressing aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and asparagus and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic cloves and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add couscous and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add couscous to bowl and drizzle dressing over. Add parsley and cheese and toss. Season with salt and pepper.