This past weekend, we celebrated my mom’s birthday by having a delicious BBQ. We grilled some Jamaican jerk-rubbed chicken and some Old Bay-seasoned shrimp. I also made this Summer Orzo Salad as a delicious side. I put a little bit of everything in this salad including some oranges. The oranges not only added a beautiful color to the salad, but they also added a fresh citrus flavor that complemented the fresh lime juice well. This salad is the perfect summer salad and you can add whatever ingredients you want to it. I love using orzo as well because even though the box looks small, it makes a ton of pasta. Enjoy!
- 1 box orzo
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 2 oranges, peeled, divided into segments, and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper for seasoning
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil and cook orzo until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain orzo and allow to cool while preparing vegetables.
- Place red onion, oranges, pepper, and avocado in a large bowl and combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lime juice, and cumin and pour over salad. Mix to combine.
- Sprinkle cilantro over salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.