I hope you had a wonderful weekend! One of the reasons I love my cookbook Simply Suppers is, well, because the recipes are just that, simple. Let’s face it, we’re all busy and sometimes after a long day at work, the last thing you want to do is make a big, elaborate dinner. What happens to me a lot is that I find a great recipe I want to try and realize I don’t have half the ingredients. I recommend this cookbook to anyone who loves to cook, but also loves to have a few extra dinner recipes that are simple and require few ingredients. I adapted one of the recipes from this cookbook and made some Ground Turkey Tostadas. These are simple to make and are versatile so you can use whatever kind of protein and toppings you want.
What is your favorite simple recipe to make when you don’t feel like cooking?
- 1 tbsp canola oil, plus more for brushing tortillas
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp cumin
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 can refried beans (I love Trader Joe’s)
- 8 small corn, flour, or whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapenos
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the ground beef and onion, stirring with a wooden spoon until meat is broken up and brown, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, sea salt, and pepper and cover to keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, warm the refried beans over low heat and cover to keep warm.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with oil and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake tortillas until crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
- Spread 2 tbsp of refried beans over each tortilla and then layer 1 tbsp of sour cream. Add the ground turkey and garnish with salsa, lettuce, jalapenos, and cheese.
*Adapted from Simply Suppers