I wish I could take credit for this beautiful Cherry Coffee Cake, but I can’t. My mom made this for my family for dinner a few nights ago. This is her recipe and she’s been making this coffee cake for as long as I can remember. I love this coffee cake because you can change the filling to whatever flavor you like. My mom has made cherry (obv), blueberry, half cherry/half blueberry, etc. You can’t go wrong with coffee cake for any occasion; whether you’re celebrating the purchase of a new home, celebrating a new job, having friends over for dinner, or celebrating the birth of a new baby (!!!), this is the perfect down-home, comfort dessert. I love it, and I’m sure you will too!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 can (21 oz.) of cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease and flour a 13×9″ baking pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together the 3 cups of flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix and beat until combined.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter along the bottom of the pan. If the batter is hard to spread, wet your knife to make it easier.
- Spread the pie filling over the batter. Spread the rest of the batter over the pie filling. It may be difficult to spread the batter entirely over the pie filling. Don’t worry if the pie filling oozes out a bit.
- To make the streusel topping, mix the flour, sugar, butter, and cinnamon with a fork until crumbles form. Sprinkle the crumbles over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While cake is cooling, mix the confectioner’s sugar and milk until a smooth consistency. Add more confectioner’s sugar to thicken or more milk to thin out. Drizze icing over cooled cake and serve.