I wish I could take credit for this beautiful Cherry Coffee Cake, but I can’t. My mom made this for my family for dinner a few nights ago. This is her recipe and she’s been making this coffee cake for as long as I can remember. I love this coffee cake because you can change the filling to whatever flavor you like. My mom has made cherry (obv), blueberry, half cherry/half blueberry, etc. You can’t go wrong with coffee cake for any occasion; whether you’re celebrating the purchase of a new home, celebrating a new job, having friends over for dinner, or celebrating the birth of a new baby (!!!), this is the perfect down-home, comfort dessert. I love it, and I’m sure you will too!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 can (21 oz.) of cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease and flour a 13×9″ baking pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together the 3 cups of flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix and beat until combined.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter along the bottom of the pan. If the batter is hard to spread, wet your knife to make it easier.
- Spread the pie filling over the batter. Spread the rest of the batter over the pie filling. It may be difficult to spread the batter entirely over the pie filling. Don’t worry if the pie filling oozes out a bit.
- To make the streusel topping, mix the flour, sugar, butter, and cinnamon with a fork until crumbles form. Sprinkle the crumbles over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While cake is cooling, mix the confectioner’s sugar and milk until a smooth consistency. Add more confectioner’s sugar to thicken or more milk to thin out. Drizze icing over cooled cake and serve.
9 responses to “Cherry Coffee Cake”
You mom is great! this looks awesome! Cherries in coffee cake?!
Yum, yum, yum!! Oh I love this so much… I wish I had the cherries to make this right now! I will be saving this to try soon!! LOVE IT!
That picture is calling to me, I will have to try this. The texture of the cake along with the cherries and lightly iced top…I am rambling..Yum-buzz!
This looks soo fantastic!! Can I come over to your house?? 🙂
I love my mom’s cobbler and I really love it when she makes it. This looks perfect!
I am seeing so many awesome cherry recipes lately. This is definitely another winner! I love the versatility it gives….though it’d probably mean I’d make this three times a week 🙂
Wow, what a great and perfect looking coffee cake..love the texture and the filling…looks yummy!
I really enjoy baking and cooking for my family. I had fun making this coffee cake. Like Kara said you can make it with any filling. I just went to the Farmer’s Market yesterday and bought some sour cherries so I might try making it with them.
I could not agree with you more