After traveling for work for 10 days and eating restaurant food every one of those days, my hubby asked me what I’d like to eat for my first dinner back. I told him “something healthy, like a big salad.” After eating a lot of good, but probably unhealthy food, I decided that I needed to detox my bod with some healthy greens and lean protein like chicken. My hubby is the best and made me this delicious Mango Chicken Salad. It was awesome, but instead of me talking about the salad (since I didn’t make it), I’d like to introduce my guest blogger… my hubby!
Hello Happy When Not Hungry readers! As my wife already mentioned, I decided to make her a healthy dinner after she’d been away for work. This salad is really easy to make and the ingredients are very simple. I got the idea from a recipe I found on Epicurious. The original recipe called for a couple of other ingredients, like shallots and watercrests, but since I couldn’t find those in the 10 minute dash I made around the supermarket before picking up my wife from the airport, I had to improvise.
I started off by seasoning the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. I cooked the chicken in a grill pan over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes on each side. Next, I chopped the mango, onions, and lettuce and mixed them together with the croutons. Finally, I prepared the vinaigrette using red-wine vinegar, olive oil, and dried thyme. Fresh thyme would certainly work better, but unfortunately our herb garden didn’t survive the DC heat wave. I drizzled the dressing over the salad, topped it with the grilled chicken, and let my wife enjoy her first home cooked meal in 10 days!
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 thin, boneless chicken breasts halves
- 1 head red leaf or green leaf lettuce, washed and patted dry
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into cubes
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced paper-thin
- Croutons for topping
- Whisk red wine vinegar, olive oil, and thyme in a small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to hot grill pan. Cook on each side, about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to cutting board and cut crosswise into slices.
- In a large salad bowl, mix lettuce, mango, red onion, and croutons, and top with chicken. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
*Adapted from Epicurious