Fall is here, and I couldn’t be happier since this is my favorite time of year. The weather suddenly got cooler in D.C. and I’m loving it! What better way to celebrate the season than with these Molasses Cookies. These cookies are so simple to make and the best part is that they are moist and chewy. They are perfect with a glass of milk or a mug of hot apple cider. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, to roll dough balls in
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the shortening, brown sugar, egg, and molasses until combined. Add flour mix and beat to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- With a cookie scoop, form 2″ balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on baking sheet about 2-3″ apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
Yield: About 3 dozen cookies (depending on how big you roll them)
Recipe: My Mamas!