I hope you had a wonderful weekend! Fall is officially here and with it, comes squash, pumpkins, apples, cinnamon, and all my favorite foods and flavors. This Butternut Squash Risotto is creamy, delicious, and perfect for this autumn weather. Even though risotto requires a little extra love and care to prepare, this recipe is well worth it. I also used frozen butternut squash since it’s so much easier to prepare. Definitely give this risotto a try!
What are your favorite foods/flavors of the fall?
- 1 package of frozen butternut squash
- 6 cups nonfat chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 oz)
- Sea salt and fresh cracker pepper for seasoning
- Baby spinach (3 cups), stems discarded and leaves very coarsely chopped
- Microwave butternut squash according to directions and set aside.
- Bring broth to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer, covered.
- Meanwhile, cook onion in butter in a heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add rice, garlic, and cumin and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy-looking but still al dente (it should be the consistency of thick soup), about 18 minutes total. (There will be leftover broth.)
- Stir in squash, then stir in cheese, salt, pepper, and spinach and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. (If necessary, thin risotto with some leftover broth.)
- Serve risotto immediately.
*Adapted from Gourmet