The weather has gotten cold here recently, so you know what that means… slow cooker soups and stews! I know I’m a broken record, but I can’t tell you enough how much I love my slow cooker (my hubby’s Grandma gave it to me for my bridal shower ). I try to make as many meals in it as I can since it saves me so much time and energy (and when I get home from work I usually have little of either!). I decided to make a comforting pot of Italian Wedding Soup. Italian wedding soup is not only hearty and delish, but it’s the perfect accompaniment to a crusty piece of bread. I made beef meatballs the night before and prepped the vegetables i.e. the onion and garlic. I like to keep my Italian Wedding Soup simple with onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, bay leaf, stock, arugula/spinach, and pastina. In the morning, all I had to do was empty the meatballs and veggies in the slow cooker and cover with some stock and seasoning. When I got home from work, I threw a pot of water on the stove to make my pastina. I never add my pasta to the crock pot; I always make them separately and combine them right before serving. This soup is warm and comforting. Definitely give it a try!
What is your favorite soup or stew to make when it’s cold outside?
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients and roll into 1-2” balls. Bake for 15-20 minutes turning them halfway through.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to add to slow cooker.
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound arugula, escarole or spinach
- 1 box Barilla Pastina
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- In a large sauté pan, heat a few tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add onion and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes, add the garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes. Set aside or store in the refrigerator until ready to add to slow cooker.
- Add the meatballs, vegetable mix, and arugula to the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour chicken stock over and add the bay leaf. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a stock pot and cook Pastina according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add Pastina to soup and serve immediately. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.