I can’t believe that Christmas is less than a week away! Are you ready for it? I finished all my Christmas shopping and am now looking forward to enjoying the short work week before I head home to celebrate with family and friends. If you’re looking for another Christmas treat to make, try this Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread. It’s easy to make, festive, and delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 oz bittersweet baking chocolate, melted, cooled
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
Glaze and Topping
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tbsp chopped miniature peppermint candy canes
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spray 2 (9-inch) glass pie plates with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, chocolate and peppermint extract with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in flour and cocoa. Divide dough in half. With lightly floured hands, press dough evenly in pie plates (not up the sides).
- Bake 22-24 minutes or until edges just begin to pull away from sides of pie plates. Cool in pie plates 5 minutes. Carefully cut each round into wedges. Cool completely in pie plates, about 30 minutes.
- In small, microwaveable bowl, melt white chocolate chips until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over wedges and sprinkle with candies.
Yield: 2 9” pies
*Adapted from Betty Crocker