It’s been feeling like spring around here lately, so I decided to make some Lemon Blackberry Scones. I wanted to use some ingredients that reminded me of warm weather, i.e. lemon and blackberry. You could also use raspberries or blueberries in place of the blackberries or whatever fruit that you like. I made a lemon glaze and drizzled it over the tops. These scones were scrumptious and perfect with a cup of tea or as an after-dinner treat. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the egg, yogurt, milk and lemon zest until blended and set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter pieces to the bowl with the dry ingredients and cut the butter into the flour using two forks or a pastry cutter, until the largest butter pieces are the size of small peas.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently fold together with a spatula until a sticky dough has formed. Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Transfer the dough to a well floured work surface and pat into a disc about 8″ in diameter (dough will be stick). Sprinkle lightly with additional sugar and slice the disc into 8 wedges.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet and bake until lightly browned on top, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, mix the confectioner’s sugar with the lemon zest. Add 1 tbsp of milk and stir to combine. If frosting is too dry, add another tbsp of milk (1 at a time) until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over cooled scones.