I’m fairly certain that when you clicked on “Oatmeal Cream Pies” you had visions of the Little Debbie treat dancing in your head. That is exactly what I made, except the homemade version!
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- 2 tsp very hot water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow cream
- ½ cup shortening
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs until blended. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat to combine; mix in the oats with a wooden spoon.
- Drop tablespoon-sized scoops onto the cookie sheet about 2″ apart and bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookie just starts to brown around the edges. Cookies will look moist and be fragile; be careful not to over-bake. Carefully move cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla and mix on high until fluffy. Add the salt water and mix well.
- Spread the filling onto the flat side of one cookie and top with another. Makes about 18 cream pies.
*Slightly adapted from Kids in the Sink