I hope you had a fabulous weekend! They are always too short, right? Here’s a side dish that I made this past week that is healthy and delicious: Lentils in Herb-Arugula Yogurt. This dish is easy to prepare and makes a great lunch to bring to work. I love lentils because they contain a lot of protein, so I’m always looking for new lentil recipes. Since I had some arugula that was in desperate need of eating and some Greek yogurt, I decided this was the perfect dish to make. I added some fresh parsley and lemon juice and then let it chill in the refrigerator. While you can eat this dish warm, I found that letting all the flavors mesh together in the refrigerator really made this dish taste awesome. Here’s another great protein-fix dish that you need to try!
What’s your favorite protein dish?
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 pound cucumber—peeled, seeded and coarsely shredded (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the lentils with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the arugula and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze out excess water and transfer the arugula to a food processor. Add the parsley and mint and process until finely chopped. Transfer the puree to a colander and squeeze out any excess liquid. Transfer the puree to a large bowl.
- Stir the yogurt, shredded cucumber, lemon juice, and lentils into the arugula puree and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowls and serve. The dish can be refrigerated overnight.
*Adapted from Food & Wine