Cool weather for me means soups and stews! Broccoli soup is one of those classic soups that I love to make and love to dip bread in. I decided to make some savory monkey bread with oregano, garlic, and olive oil. The monkey bread came out soft and perfect for dipping in this creamy soup. The soup recipe is also easy and delicious; I added a bit more garlic and red pepper flakes since I love both those flavors. Melted cheese on top of the hot soup makes this dish perfect for a cool, fall day. Enjoy!
Broccoli Soup Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3 small celery ribs, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Shredded cheese, to melt over soup
- Bread for dipping
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender and puree until smooth. Season the soup with salt and pepper and sprinkle cheese over. Serve with bread.