Who doesn’t love red velvet… it’s absolutely delicious and is a wonderful deep red color that is perfect for Valentine’s Day. Sometimes there’s nothing wrong with saving a little time, money, and energy by cutting a few corners and using a cake box mix to make something delicious. I had a bad experience making a red velvet cake last year; it came out deep purple (too much red food coloring) and just didn’t taste like the delicious red velvet that I’m used to. So this time, I was pressed for time and decided to make these semi-homemade Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies. These brownies are delicious and sure to please a crowd or that special Valentine’s Day someone. Enjoy!
- 1 box Red Velvet cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter, after melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine egg, butter, water in a bowl. Add box mix, stir until the ingredients are combined, and lumps are gone. Pour mixture into the greased 9×13-inch baking pan.
- To prepare cheesecake mixture, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Spoon the mixture over the brownie batter and swirl in with a knife.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
*Adapted from Dunan Hines & Sweet Pea’s Kitchen