I hope you enjoyed your weekend… I did! I was in Savannah celebrating a close friend’s wedding. It was a beautiful wedding, and Savannah is a gorgeous, historic city. Now, it’s back to reality. Good news is that this heat wave finally broke, and what better way to celebrate then with this delicious Caramelized Onion Hummus. I caramelized onions and then pureed them with garlic, chickpeas, tahini, fresh rosemary, and lemon juice. This hummus is creamy and full of flavor. Enjoy and enjoy your week!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons water or liquid from the chickpeas
- In a medium saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and turn heat to low, caramelizing onions until translucent. Add onions to food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the hummus is pureed. Add more water or liquid from chickpeas until desired smoothness. Serve hummus with toasted pita or bread.
*Adapted from Food Network